Porcelain veneers are a popular cosmetic option because they allow patients to enhance their smiles by correcting aesthetic flaws. Because of this, they have become a staple for celebrities and anyone who is looking to upgrade their smile. However, just because they are made from porcelain does not mean you are immune to tooth decay. Your teeth that support veneers can still develop cavities. Continue reading to learn how maintaining your veneers in Toronto can help prevent such problems.
Why Can Your Teeth Still Get Cavities Even with Veneers?
There are several reasons why a veneer-supporting tooth can develop cavities:
- If a veneer is not placed properly or it has been cemented to your tooth for many years, bacteria and food particles can sneak behind your veneer and attack the natural surface of your tooth, leading to decay and other problems.
- Porcelain veneers cannot eliminate preexisting problems like decay or weakened enamel. Both issues can cause you to develop cavities easier.
- Veneers only cover the front surface of the tooth. This means the back portion is not protected at all and is still just as vulnerable to tooth decay as it was before you had your veneers placed.
What Can People with Veneers Do for Cavity Prevention?
Even though veneers don’t keep you safe from developing cavities, there are a few things you can do to reduce your risk. Here are just a few of them:
- See your dentist: When you go to the dentist regularly for cleanings and checkups, they will be able to ensure that your veneers are still looking good and there are no signs of decay. If there is existing decay and it is caught early enough, it can be treated before becoming a serious issue.
- Maintain good oral hygiene: Don’t slack on your routine after you get veneers. Continue to brush twice and floss at least once every single day. Rinsing with mouthwash is another helpful step to prevent tooth decay.
- Choose a skilled dentist: You want to pick a cosmetic dentist who is experienced and has positive reviews from previous patients. By doing your research on the dentist you choose, you can significantly reduce your risk of something going wrong.
Porcelain veneers can give you a beautiful smile, but that doesn’t mean the threat of cavities goes away. By following these tips from your dentist in Toronto for maintaining your veneers, you can keep your teeth as healthy as they look.
About the Practice
At LG Dental Centre, we offer a modern dental office serving midtown Toronto that provides emergency dentistry services and welcomes walk-ins. Our three dentists are ready to help, whether you seek general dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, preventive dentistry, or dental surgery. If you are interested in porcelain veneers, we can help you cover chipped, discolored, or misaligned teeth. Schedule a consultation on our website or by calling (416) 224-8300.