If your smile is discolored, you may find it difficult to feel confident in its appearance. This may be especially true if you can’t get your teeth to look any wider no matter what you do. Though it may be frustrating to have a permanently stained beam, there may be a good reason for this. Continue reading to learn if stained teeth can be hereditary as well as what your dentist can do to improve the look of your smile.
How Genetics Can Cause Stained Teeth
There is a range of things that can cause your smile to become discolored. Drinking dark or highly pigmented beverages like coffee and tea, improper oral hygiene, smoking or using other tobacco products, and certain medications are a few common ones. But for some people, stained teeth are hereditary. There are a few conditions that can cause stained teeth, including:
- Dentinogenesis imperfecta – A genetic condition called dentinogenesis imperfecta affects both baby and adult teeth and can cause them to naturally be stained. This disorder affects the way that teeth develop and causes them to be brittle and weak. As a result, they will be more susceptible to breakage, wear, and loss. Dentinogenesis imperfectacan also cause your enamel to be transparent and a yellow-brown or blue color.
- Amelogenesis imperfecta – Another genetic condition called amelogenesis imperfectaaffects is caused by a genetic mutation. It also impacts tooth development and is characterized by unusually small teeth, discoloration, abnormal enamel formation, pits or grooves, and accelerated breakage and wear. People with this conditionare also more likely to experience tooth decay.
How Your Cosmetic Dentist Can Help
Though stained teeth can sometimes be a result of genetics, there are some ways that your dentist may be able to help. A few cosmetic treatments that may brighten your smile include:
- Porcelain veneers – These are thin shells that are made from dental-grade porcelain. They cover the entire front part of a tooth to cover up a range of cosmetic issues, including discoloration. They are color-matched to the surrounding teeth so that they seamlessly blend in with the rest of your smile.
- Teeth Whitening – Though there is a range of products available over the counter, professional teeth whitening is the best option. The products are stronger, safer, and more effective. Additionally, the results last longer. In-office treatments can whiten your teeth by several shades in just one hour-long visit.
- Dental crowns – These caps are shaped like teeth and are often used to repair severe damage. They can also be used for teeth that are misshapen or discolored. They are color-matched so that they look just like the rest of your pearly whites.
If you’ve always struggled with stained teeth, it may be genetic. Contact your dentist to ask what options they have available to brighten your smile for a glorious, glowing grin!
About the Practice
LG Dental Centre makes patient care their top priority. They have created a comfortable office environment so you feel well cared for from the moment you walk through the door. For patients who are struggling with stained teeth, they offer teeth whitening treatments as well as veneers and dental crowns to give you a smile that you can’t wait to show off. If you live in the Toronto area and are interested in setting up an appointment with LG Dental Centre or want to learn more about their services, call their office at (416) 224-8300 or visit their website.